Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Make It Monday #64

I loved Nichole's video for this edition of Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday.  She took us through her thought process when card making.  It was an incredible insight into her creative process and really gave me some things to try and do.

I was needing to make a Thank You card for a very special group of people.  A group of my husband's co-workers got together to throw us a surprise baby shower.  It was such a kind thing to do, and I was completely blown away.  One of the ladies made this diaper cake for me.


Isn't that just amazing!!  To top it off, the same person painted this for our new little one's room.



Talk about creative talent!!!

Besides the amazing diaper cake that was Dr. Seuss themed after our nursery, we received so many wonderful treasures and well wishes.  It was so thoughtful and very appreciated.

So when I started my card this morning, all I could hear was Nichole Heady in my head talking me through the entire card.  :)  I didn''t use one of the MIM color combos, because I wanted to keep it in line with the theme of my shower.  So, I chose to work with red, white, and blue (or more specifically white, pure poppy, and enchanted evening).  Here is what I came up with.


Let me tell you how she influenced this card.  First of all, I picked out a few things I thought I would want to work with or would match the theme or overall feel I was going for.  I needed to make it somewhat gender neutral as well.  I pulled out my Seeing Stars Dies first knowing that stars would be a great way to go and cover all my needs.  Next, I pulled out my Pure Poppy and Enchanted Evening inks.  I decided that I wanted to stamp a background and Background Basics: Houndstooth came to mind.  So, I stamped the background in red and die cut the stars in enchanted evening.  The stars were a bit plain, so I dressed them up with a small amount of decoration by impressing them with an impression plate and adding some pen doodles.  Because the stars would take over most of the front of the card, I decided that I needed to add my sentiment on top both to add dimension and tame the overwhelming stars.  Insert . . . fillable frames.  Once I had the frame stamped, I started looking at the overall design.  I placed the stars where I wanted them and really liked how the frame looked good offset with one of the stars popped up over the top.  I added the stamped red stars because I needed another element of red.  I knew I was going to embellish the small star with a button.  After looking at my design, I decided to use white floss as I needed another white.  It still didn't look quite right.  I needed just a touch more white.  So, I added the satin ribbon.  I felt like the ribbon pulled it all together.  I am pretty pleased how this turned out.  It didn't take me forever.  I didn't hem-haw over every little detail.  I used Nichole's wisdom of methodology and it literally fell into place.  Thanks Nichole.

Thanks for looking at today's Make It Monday.  I had a blast.

Supplies - All Papertrey Ink unless noted:
Paper - Stamper's Select White, Enchanted Evening
Ink - Pure Poppy, Enchanted Evening
Stamps - Fillable Frames #5, Tag It's #6, Background Basics: Houndstooth
Other - Pure Poppy Button, Fresh Snow Satin Ribbon, White DMC Floss, Guidelines Impression Plate, Clear Spica Copic Marker, White Signo Pen

4 comments:

Sandra H said...

Oh just so gorgeous,xx

Kristen :-) said...

WOW! First of all, what a great surprise that "cake" and painted gift was! Secondly, I love that you coordinated your card with the theme of the cake/gift. I applaud your patience in stamping the background! That is something I do NOT possess! LOL. I really like how the colors worked together and the layout is fantastic!

Rebecca Deeprose said...

Congrats to you and your husband! Great thank you card!

Unknown said...

Love the bold colors, looks great. I had to check it out because when I linked mine, I was browsing through the enteries...counting to see if they used the color 3 times! You win! :) Love this challenge and you did a great job!